BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, December 03, 2010

The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties.

Life and death. It all happens here. The world keeps moving despite my loud protests. Some days I wish I could pause this thing, but others I am so happy that no matter what I do, the time I have here is a set amount. I have hope and future fun to look forward to.

My boss was a dick yesterday. If you are every in charge of something, don’t delegate the responsibility for handing out bad news to someone else. That’s why you are the boss, you are the person in charge and good or bad, the essence of leadership is to exude an attitude of leadership that people will follow.

There was bad news to hand out. It sucks. Not the you are going to die bad news, but bad news none the less. My boss knows about it, but does not want to hand it out to girl doc. So, he just leaves it to the Commander to make the news known. When the CO comes by to drop the news to the recipient, she happens to be out to lunch. CO being busy has to leave so leaves the news with me to pass out.

I had an idea that this particularly bad ness was going to happen, but still, it’s a cowardly move to not present bad news to your own people and just leave it to someone else. Now I have to deliver said news to my superior. Its not a task that I relish.

I am reminded of an episode of The Office. Where Michael the boss cant seem to fire people, so just makes fun of it. But this is real life, and you should man up and do your freaking job even if that’s to hand out bad news. In the words of Woody Harrelson “Time to nut up or shut up”.

Marines are pack animals. They will gladly accept you into them, but they keep an eye on you. If you fail to meet their expectations, they will cut you out like a little squamous cell carcinoma.

One of the docs here has failed their body composition test. Its probably the biggest thing that an individual can do to loose the respect of the Marine. Once you fail that test. You are dead to them. They may keep you around if they cant find a replacement, but they no longer want you. Its interesting.

The Marine does not want this doc around any more. Hence the bad news that must be given. I don’t think that the two are directly related, but I have a feeling that if the Marines wanted this individual around they would fight to keep them where they are.

The more interesting thing is to see the reaction of the individual. That this failure breaks the person a little. They are weak, they blame every one and every thing other than just taking some measure of responsibility for their own body and action. I hate that.

One of my biggest problems with the medical community is that we are built around deflecting blame. No one wants to get blamed and sued for something, so we always pad our answers. It may be this, it may or may not be that. Honestly, when was the last time you got a straight answer from a medical provider? Again, Nut Up or Shut UP.

2 comments:

t. said...

Is the second rule Double-Tap, or was that later?

Emergingjourney said...

Yep, 100% correct. Dont get all stingy with your bullets. Outstanding memory T.