BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, December 20, 2009

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”


What is hope? I have had three big HUGE conversations with three separate friends about this very topic in the last week. It seems to be a theme right now. But more than just a theme, its a root nerve that runs through life.


I can live with a lot of things, I can survive a lot of things, but having no hope is not one of them. Hope keeps me alive. It makes the sun rise and makes each day a new fight that is worth fighting. There are volumes of stories that speak of hope, lord of the rings, Shawshank, the list goes on and on. But what is this thing of hope?

I think it is this. It is the spark of life. It is what keeps us going when life sucks and the shit of the world around us threatens to drown us. People tend to insulate themselves from the pain of life by whatever means they can find. TV, food, drugs, sex, religion, whatever fires them up for a few moments in time. But they are hiding because they fear to hope. Hope can hurt you so much, it can kill you. Hope is a drug that can bring you bliss, or crush you in one fell swoop.
I am no expert on hope. But I do hope. I hope for things that I have no right to hope for. My life is burning with hope for not just myself, but for my friends. Beyond my friends I have hope for mankind. Granted, its hard to see it some days when I get buried in the foul smelling cesspool that is normal life. But I still hope. I will always hope. I will hope for love, life, and peace. I hope for my friends to be touched by the fire of hope and pick it up and run with this thing. I hope for people to taste life.

I hope.

0 comments: